Greenland, New Hampshire
Rockingham county, is situated five miles W.S.W. from Portsmouth and 45 E.S.E. from Concord: it is bounded N. by the Great-Bay and Newington, E. by Portsmouth and Rye, S. by North-Hampton, and W. by Stratham. The soil is remarkably good. The orchards and gardens of this town are valuable, and yield annual profits to the farmers.—Greenland, originally part of Portsmouth, was incorporated as a distinct town in 1703. Settlements commenced early, and in 1705 there were 320 inhabitants.
Rev. Samuel M'Clintock, D.D., who died in the 48th year of his ministry, was born at Medford, Mass., May 1, 1732; graduated at the New Jersey college in 1751; ordained in 1756; and died April 27, 1804, aged 72. His father was a native of Ireland. Dr. M'Clintock was a sound divine, eminent as a preacher, and distinguished for his attachment to the cause of his country. He served as a chaplain in the army of the revolution. Population, in 1830, 681.