Greenfield, New Hampshire
Hillsborough county, is bounded N. by Francestown and Society-Land, E. by Francestown and Lyndeborough, S. by Lyndeborough and Temple, and W. by Peterborough and Hancock. It is 14 miles W.N.W. from Amherst and 38 S.W. from Concord. Contoocook river forms part of the W. boundary, and separates this town from Hancock. The soil is generally fertile. The hills afford excellent pasturage; the valleys and plains are favorable for grain. Hops are raised in great abundance. A part of Crotched mountain rises from the N. part, and part of Lyndeborough mountain from the S. and E. sections of this town. There are some valuable meadows; in one of them have been found many Indian relics, from which it is conjectured that it was a favorite spot of the sons of the forest. There are five ponds; the largest about one mile in length, and one third of its length in width. The first settlement commenced in 1771 by Capt. Alexander Parker, Major A. Whittemore, Simeon Fletcher, and others. It was incorporated June 15, 1791. Population, in 1830, 946.