Grafton, New Hampshire
Grafton county, is bounded N.E. by Orange, S.E. by Danbury, S.W. by Springfield, and N.W. by Enfield. It is 36 miles N.W. from Concord and 13 S.E. from Dartmouth college. It is watered by branches of Smith's and Mascomy rivers. Heard's river, a small tributary to Smith's river, waters the S.E. part. There are 5 ponds. The largest, containing from 200 to 300 acres, is called Grafton pond. Two are named Mud ponds. The surface of Grafton is very hilly, in some parts very mountainous; and the soil is so rocky as, in many places, to be unfit for cultivation. There are, however, some good tracts of land. The Grafton turnpike, leading from Andover to Orford bridge, passes through the E. part, and the 4th N.H. turnpike, from Concord to Hanover, through the W. part. In this town there is a remarkable ledge, called the Pinnacle, on the S. side of which the ground rises by a gradual ascent to the summit; but on the N. side, it falls nearly 150 feet, within the distance of 6 or 8 feet. Isinglass, as it is commonly called, is found in a state of great purity in Glass Hill mountain. It adheres in the form of lamina to rocks of white and yellow quartz. The usual size of these lamina is about 6 inches square, but some have been found much larger. It requires much labor to obtain this glass, which, when prepared, is transported to Boston, and from thence exported to England. It is found on the E. side of the mountain, which is 200 feet high. Grafton was granted Aug. 14, 1761, to Ephraim Sherman and others.—The first permanent settlement was made in May, 1772, by Capt. Joseph Hoyt from Poplin. Capt. Alexander Pixley and wife were the second family who settled here. Incorporated in 1778. Population in 1830, 1,207.