Gilsum, New Hampshire
A small township in Cheshire county, situated about 10 miles E. from the Connecticut. The soil is, in many parts, fertile, and produces good crops of grass and grain. Ashuelot river runs through this town and affords a good supply of water for mills, which is improved for cotton and other manufactures. Gilsum was granted July 13, 1763, to Messers. Gilbert, Sumner, and others. From the combination of the first syllables of the names of these men, it derives the name Gil-sum. The first settlement was made in 1764. Gilsum lies 55 miles S.W. by W. from Concord and about 9 N. from Keene. Population, 1830, 642.