Gilmanton, New Hampshire
One of the shire towns in Strafford county, 17 miles N.N.E. from Concord and 45 W.N.W. from Portsmouth. It is bounded N. and N.E. by Gilford and Alton. Population, 1830, 3,816. Beside the Winnepisiogee, this town is watered by the Suncook and Soucook rivers, which have their sources in Gilmanton. The Suncook rises in a pond near the top of one of the Suncook mountains, elevated 900 feet above its base. The water of this pond falls into another at the foot of the mountain, of 1 mile in length and 1/2 mile wide. Passing from this, it falls into another, covering about 500 acres, from which it meanders through the town, receiving several streams in its course. The Soucook rises from Loon, Rocky and Shellcamp ponds, in the S. part of the town. This town is very hilly and rocky. The soil is hard, but fruitful, when properly cultivated. The geology of this town presents many varieties.—There are several springs in Gilmanton, termed mineral; one of which has proved efficacious in cutaneous and bilious affections. This town was granted May 20, 1727, to 24 persons of the name of Gilman, and 152 others. In Dec. 1761, Benjamin and John Mudgett, with their families, settled here. Dorothy Weed, the first child, was born here Oct. 13, 1762. An academy was founded here in 1764. Its productive funds are about $11,000. The theological seminary at this place is connected with the academy and is a flourishing institution.