Franklin, New Hampshire
Merrimack county. This town was incorporated in 1828, from parts of the towns of Salisbury, Andover, Sanbornton, and Northfield: is 18 miles from Concord, 63 from Portsmouth, and 78 from Boston. Franklin is a place of considerable and increasing business; has a cotton factory, two paper mills, an iron foundry, and other manufacturing establishments. The junction of the Winnepisiogee and Pemigewasset rivers, in this town, form the noble Merrimack, creating on both streams an extensive and valuable water power. It is probable that within a few years the river will be rendered navigable by means of locks and canals, as far up as Franklin, in which event it would become one of the most flourishing interior towns in New Hampshire. Population, in 1830, 1,370.