Francestown, NH: population, rivers, lakes, mountains, resorts, hotels, motels, inns, and landmarks.
Web NewEnglandTowns.org

New England > New Hampshire > Francestown

Francestown, New Hampshire

Hillsborough county. It is 12 miles N.W. from Amherst and 27 S.W. from Concord. The two S. branches of the Piscataquog rise in this town; the largest branch from Pleasant pond, the other from Haunted pond. The former branch passes near the village in Francestown. Pleasant and Haunted ponds are considerable collections of water. The land is uneven, and in many parts stony, but the qualities of the soil are warm and moist. There are some small intervales, which are very productive. About 7,000 sheep are kept here. The streams of water are not large, and almost every mill is situated on rivers that take their rise from hills and ponds within the limits of the town. The highest land is Crotched mountain, the summit of which is more than 600 feet above the level of the common in the centre of the town. One of the summits of this mountain is covered with wood; the other is almost a solid ledge of rocks, affording a very extensive prospect of the S.W. There is in the easterly part of this town a very extensive and valuable quarry of freestone. It is of a dark greyish color, and when polished strongly resembles the variegated marble of Vermont. In the N. part of this town black lead has been found of a good quality—and in the S. part some beautiful specimens of rock crystal. The common garnet is met with in various places. On the N. side of Haunted pond, there is a bar of 20 rods in length, 6 feet high, and 3 or 4 feet through; but for what purpose or by what means this barrier was raised, is a matter of conjecture only. The local situation of this town, is very eligible for business, being near the centre of the county, and on the great thoroughfare from Windsor to Boston, and on a leading road from the S.W. part of the state to Concord. The village is very pleasant, neatly built and flourishing. Francestown derived its name from Frances, the wife of the last Gov. Wentworth. The first settlement was made about 1760, by John Carson, a Scotchman.

Mr. James Woodbury, who died March 3, 1823, at the age of 85, closed his life in this town. He was an active soldier in the old French war, and engaged by the side of Gen. Wolfe, when he was killed at the memorable siege of Quebec. He was one of the truly invincible rangers under the immortal Stark, and discharged every duty in a prompt and courageous manner. Population, 1830, 1541.


© 2004–2016 NewEnglandTowns.org