Ellsworth, New Hampshire
Grafton county, is 52 miles N.N.W. from Concord, and 20 S.E. from Haverhill. Population, 1830, 234. It is a mountainous tract of territory. The most prominent elevation is Carr's mountain. A small stream issues from West Branch pond and runs into the Pemigewasset at Campton. The soil, though in some parts sterile, produces wheat, rye and corn. Maple sugar is made here, and clover seed is raised in considerable quantities. This town, formerly called Trecothick, was granted May 1, 1769, to Barlow Trecothick.