Dublin, New Hampshire
Cheshire county. It is 10 miles E. by S. from Keene and 50 S.W. from Concord. Dublin is situated on the height of land between Connecticut and Merrimack rivers. Its streams are small; those on the W. side run into the Ashuelot, those on the E. run into Contoocook river. The rain which falls on the roof of the church is shared by the rivers.—There is a pond near the middle of the town called Centre pond, one mile in length and about the same in breadth. A large portion of the Grand Mondanock lies in the N.W. part of Dublin, and near the centre of the town is Breed's mountain. Monadnock was formerly covered with a growth of small timber and shrubbery, but fires having run over it at different times, it presents little more than ragged rocks. Between the rocks, however, there are low whortleberry bushes, which produce great quantities of fruit of a very rich flavor. The season for ripening is the later part of August, and to those who ascend the summit at this season they are peculiarly grateful. This mountain is not difficult of access. The view from its summit is sublime. Its height is 3,718 feet above the level of the sea. The land in general is much better for grazing than tillage. The late Rev. Edward Sprague bequeathed nearly 8,000 dollars for the support of public schools, the annual interest of which is to be applied to this object. He also left the town $5,000, the interest of which, paid quarterly, is to be applied to the support of an ordained congregational minister, who shall statedly preach in Dublin. The first settlements were in 1762, by John Alexander, and others. Population, 1830, 1,218.