Dorchester, New Hampshire
Grafton county, is situated on the highlands between Connecticut and Merrimack rivers, 12 miles from the former and 8 from the latter. It is 23 miles S. by E. from Haverhill, 50 N.W. from Concord, and 90 N.W. by W. from Portsmouth. The principal streams are the S. branch of Baker's river, a branch of Mascomy, and Rocky branch. There are two considerable ponds, both in the W. part of the town. The soil in some parts is very fertile, particularly the intervales on the branch of Baker's river. The highlands are very uneven, and the greater part rocky. First settled about the year 1772. Population, 1830, 702.