Deerfield, New Hampshire
Rockingham county, is 18 miles E.S.E. from Concord and 30 W. by N. from Portsmouth. This town has a number of very pleasant ponds which afford fish of various kinds. Moulton's pond is situated at the W. part of the town. This pond, although small, is noted on account of its having no visible inlet, and therefore is supposed to be supplied by a subterraneous passage, as the water is always of nearly an equal depth. The outlets of the pond run in opposite directions. This pond is also remarkable on account of having been often sounded without discovering any bottom. A branch of Lamprey river passes S. and S.E. through Deerfield. The surface of this town is uneven, the soil durable and fertile, although hard to cultivate. The Tuckaway, between Deerfield and Nottingham, the Saddleback, between Deerfield and Northwood, and Fort mountain on the W., are the principal elevations. In the W. part of this town, on the southerly side of a ridge of rocks which extend 3/4 of a mile, is a natural formation in the rock, for sixty years designated as the "Indian Camp." Its sides are irregular and the top is covered by a canopy of granite projecting about 14 feet, affording a shelter from the sun and rain. On the E. side of this camp is a natural flight of steps, or stones resembling steps, by which persons may easily ascend to the top of the rock. Deerfield was once a place of favorite resort for deer, great numbers of which were taken. While the petition for the town was pending, a Mr. Batchelder killed a deer, and presenting it to Gov. Wentworth, obtained the act under the name of Deer-field. The town was settled in 1756 and 1758, by John Robertson, Benjamin Batchelder and others. During the Indian wars the inhabitants lived in garrisons, but no serious mischiefs were experienced. Population, 1830, 2,086.