Croydon, New Hampshire
Sullivan county, is 44 miles N.N.W. from Concord and 8 N. from Newport. The N. branch of Sugar river waters this town. On this stream is a woolen factory and other mills. Croydon mountain is of considerable elevation, on which are two small ponds. The soil of Croydon is moist and rocky, and produces valuable crops. Croydon was granted by charter to Samuel Chase, and others, May 31, 1763. It was settled in 1766. Population, 1830, 1,057.