Columbia, New Hampshire
In the county of Coos, lies on the E. bank of Connecticut river, 30 miles N. of Lancaster and 147 N. of Concord. The surface of the town is quite uneven, the mountains of Stratford lying along the S. From these a number of streams descend north-westerly into the Connecticut, furnishing many fine mill seats. There are also several small ponds in town. On the borders of one, called Lime pond, vast quantities of shells are found, from which a species of lime is made that answers for some uses. It was incorporated 1797. Population, 1830, 442.