Chester, New Hampshire
Rockingham county, is 17 miles W.S.W. from Exeter, 30 W.S.W. from Portsmouth, 17 N.W. from Haverhill, and 23 S.E. from Concord. A branch of Exeter river, called "The Branch," flows through the N.E. part of Chester, beside which there is no stream deserving mention. Massabesick pond is the largest body of fresh water in the county, and contains about 1,500 acres. The line between this town and Manchester passes more than 2 miles through the westerly part of this pond. The Indians had a settlement of 10 or 12 wigwams on an island in this pond, vestiges of which, it is said, may still be seen. A considerable portion of the town possesses a good soil, and many of the large swells yield in fertility to none in the state. There are several large and valuable meadows. In this town are two caves, sometimes visited by strangers. That which was earliest noticed is situated in Mine hill, near the east side of Massabesick pond. The entrance is about 5 feet high and 2 1/2 wide. The cavern extends into the hill, in a northern direction, about 80 feet, of sufficient dimensions to admit a person to pass. Its form is very regular, and its height and breadth various, from 2 to 12 feet. The other is in the westerly side of Rattlesnake hill, in the S.W. part of the town, in a ledge of coarse granite, nearly 40 feet high. It has two entrances. The north entrance is about 11 feet high and 4 broad. Native sulphur is found in this town, in small quantities, imbedded in tremolite. Granite and gneiss are the prevailing rocks, and handsome specimens of graphic granite are sometimes found. The village in this town is pleasant, and stands chiefly on a long street. It is the principal place of business in this part of the county, and is situated on an elevated rise, commanding one of the most extensive prospects in New England. From this hill, the ocean, though more than 20 miles distant, may, in a clear day, be distinctly seen. Population, 1830, 2,039. Incorporated, 1722.