Chatham, New Hampshire
Strafford county, is situated on the E. side of the White Mountains, and adjoining the line which divides this state from Maine. It has Conway on the S., Bartlett and Jackson on the W., Mount Royse on the N. Chatham was granted to Peter Livius and others, Feb. 7, 1767. There are several ponds in Chatham, and some considerable streams. The surface is mountainous and rocky, and can never sustain a great population. Between Chatham and Jackson, Carter's mountain rises so high as to prevent the opening a road between the two towns; so that in holding an intercourse with the rest of the country, the inhabitants are obliged to pass through part of the state of Maine. Population in 1830, 419.