Boscawen, New Hampshire
Merrimack county. Boscawen is situated between Concord and Salisbury on the W. side of Merrimack river. Boscawen is 8 miles N.W. from Concord. Besides the Merrimack, the west part of this town is watered by Blackwater river, running nearly parallel with the former, through the whole extent of the town, and about five miles distant from it. It is not a large stream, but very important, both on account of the fertile fields of champaign on its borders, and the numerous water privileges it affords. There are two ponds of some note. Great pond, near the centre of the town, Long pond, in the west part, and mill seats at the outlet of each. Boscawen is of a deep, productive soil, affording many excellent farms delightfully situated. The surface, when viewed from its highest parts, appears uncommonly level. From the numerous streams of living water, and from the peculiar direction of the swells of the hills, this town probably derives that pure air and uniform temperature which are so conducive to health. The principal village is in the east section of the town. It is situated on a spacious street nearly two miles in length, very straight and level. Here the eye of the traveller is attracted and delighted by the fertile intervales and windings of the river Merrimack. There is another village on a pleasant eminence near the west meeting house. Boscawen was granted by Massachusetts in 1733. The proprietors gave it the name of Contoocook, after the Indian name of the river. It received its present name when it was incorporated, April 22, 1760, from Edward Boscawen, a celebrated English admiral then on the American station. The first settlement commenced early in the season of 1734. Abigail Danforth was the first child born in the town. The Indians made frequent predatory incursions on the inhabitants. See Duston's Island.
Among the deceased citizens of this place entitled to respectful notice are George Jackman, Esq., the first town clerk, who continued in office 36 years. He was appointed a justice of the peace under Geo. II. and continued in that office during all successive changes down to 1818.
Rev. Samuel Ward, D.D., for more than half a century the minister of Boscawen, was distinguished for his learning and piety.
Hon. Ezekiel Webster, a native of Salisbury, resided here many years. He was an eminent barrister at law, of extraordinary talents, and great private worth. He died in the court house at Concord, April 10, 1829, aged 49, beloved and lamented by all who knew his character. Population, 1830, 2,093.