Atkinson, New Hampshire
Rockingham county. It is situated 30 miles S.W. from Portsmouth and 32 S.E. from Concord. The surface of Atkinson is uneven; the soil of a superior quality, and well cultivated. The cultivation of the apple has received much attention here, and the finest fruit is produced. Incorporated Sept. 3, 1767, by its present name, in honor of Theodore Atkinson. Several of the first settlers lived to a great age. The Rev. Stephen Peabody was the first settled minister in Atkinson. He was a native of Andover, Mass. He took an active part in the revolution, and served as chaplain in the regiment under Col. Poor, stationed at Winter-Hill. The academy in this town is one of the oldest and most respectable institutions in the state; it was incorporated Feb. 17, 1791. "In a large meadow in this town, there is an island, containing 7 or 8 acres, which was formerly loaded with valuable pine timber and other forest wood. When the meadow is overflowed, by means of an artificial dam, this island rises to the same degree as the water rises, which is sometimes six feet. Near the middle of this island, is a small pond, which has been gradually lessening ever since it was first known, and is now almost covered with verdure. In the water of this pond, there have been fish in plenty; which, when the meadow hath been flowed, have appeared there, and when the water hath been drawn off, have been left on the meadow; at which time the island settles to its usual place." Population, 1830, 555.