Antrim, New Hampshire
Hillsborough county. It is 20 miles N.W. from Amherst, 30 S.W. from Concord, and 67 from Boston. The E. part of Antrim lies on Contoocook river, and though somewhat hilly, is a tract of productive land, a considerable proportion of which is arable. On the river there are valuable tracts of alluvial land. The North Branch river, so called, a small stream originating from several ponds in Stoddard, furnishes several valuable mill seats and in some parts of its course it is bordered by tracts of intervale. The W. part of the town is mountainous, but suitable for grass, and affords an extensive range of good pasturage. There are six natural ponds well stored with perch and pike. A curiosity has been discovered in the middle branch of Contoocook river, a rock, about 10 feet long and 8 feet wide, covered with a shallow coat of moss, affording sustenance to 21 different kinds of plants and shrubs, three of which produce edible fruit. Antrim was incorporated March 22, 1777. The first settlement was made by Dea. James Aiken about the year 1768. Dea. Aiken was a native of Londonderry, where he was born in 1731. He died July 27, 1817. He was a professor of the christian religion more than 60 years, and adorned it by a serious and exemplary life. Population, 1830, 1,309. Antrim has about 4,400 sheep.