Middlesex county. This town is situated 10 miles N.W. by N. from Boston, 12 E. by N. from Concord, and 14 W. from Salem. It was incorporated in 1642, and first settled in 1640. Population, 1830, 1,977; 1837, 2,643.
There are some elevations in Woburn which give the surface a variegated and pleasing aspect. There is considerable wood land in the town, and some pine plain land; but the soil is generally strong, fertile and well improved. It contains some beautiful farms.
The manufactures of the town consist of leather, boots, shoes, india rubber, chairs, door sashes, blinds, tin, cabinet, and wooden wares: total value, the year ending April 1, 1837, $421,042.
Horn Pond in this town is a delightful sheet of water, surrounded by evergreens, and is so remarkable for its rural beauties as to attract many visitors from a distance. This pond serves as a passage for the Middlesex canal; it also furnishes the town with a water power of some value. The waters of this and several smaller ponds in Woburn fall into Mystic river, through Mystic pond in Medford.