Hampshire county. The surface of this town is elevated and uneven; but it is pleasant, and has a warm and fertile soil. It is watered by a good stream which meets the Connecticut at Northampton. It lies 8 miles N.W. from Northampton and 100 W. from Boston. Incorporated in 1771. Population, 1837, 1,345.
The manufactures of the town consist of woolen cloth, (3 mills,) boots, shoes, leather, hats, iron castings, axes, gimlets, screw drivers, augers, punches, bitts and bitt stocks, flexible and japan buttons, stocking yarn, and lather boxes; annual value, about $200,000.—The value of buttons, manufactured the year ending April 1, 1837, was $102,500.
In 1837, there were 2,815 sheep sheared in this town, whose fleeces weighed 8,362 pounds, and sold for $5,017.