Middlesex county. This is a good farming town, on elevated ground, 26 miles N.W. from Boston and 10 N.W. from Concord. Incorporated, 1729. Population, 1837, 1,451. The surface and soil of the town are well adapted to the growth of grain, grass and fruit, and large quantities of hay and vegetables are annually sent to Boston and Lowell. Quantities of fine granite, commonly called "Chelmsford granite," are found here, quarried and transported. Westford is watered by several beautiful ponds, and by Stoney brook which rises in the town and gives it mill privileges.
The manufactures of Westford, consist of bar iron, shoes and leather: annual value, about $25,000.
The village is handsomely situated on a swell of fine land, commanding a beautiful prospect, of great extent, and contains an Academy of ancient date and respectable standing.