West Stockbridge, Massachusetts
This town is bounded W. by the state of New York and lies on the route of the great western rail road from Boston to Albany. A part of the town is hilly; but the soil is generally good. Along the river is a valley of fine land which gives beauty to the village, and value to the town. Mines of iron ore are found in this town, and an inexhaustible quantity of beautifully variegated marble.
The manufactures of the town consist of bar iron, axes, brads, machinery, marble, leather, wooden ware, &c.; annual value, about $50,000.
West Stockbridge lies 135 miles W. from Boston, 9 S.S.W. from Lenox, 26 E. by N. from Hudson, N.Y., and 37 1/2 S.E. by S. from Albany by the proposed rail road. Incorporated, 1774. Population in 1837, 1,244.