Worcester county. This town was called Western from 1741 to 1834. It lies 60 miles W. by S. from Boston and 23 W.S.W. from Worcester. Population, 1837, 1,196. It is watered by Chickopee river, and contains one cotton and two woolen mills, a scythe factory and manufactures of palm-leaf hats. The value of goods annually made in the town, is about $75,000. A large portion of the lands in Warren are uneven and hilly, but the soil is warm, and favorable to the growth of grain, and the support of sheep, of which 1,110 were kept in 1837. The village is quite pleasant.