Worcester county. This town was first settled about the year 1721. It was taken from Lancaster in 1781. It lies 40 miles W. from Boston, and 12 N. from Worcester. It is watered by Still river. Its surface is uneven, and its soil light. Population, 1837, 1,650. The manufactures of the town consist of boots, shoes, leather, straw bonnets, palm-leaf hats, scythe snaiths, chairs and cabinet ware: total amount, for the year ending April 1, 1837, $76,528, of which $53,228, was for chairs and cabinet ware.