Hampden county. This town is bounded S. by the state of Connecticut, and is 100 miles W. by S. from Boston, and 10 W.S.W. from Springfield. Incorporated, 1779. Population, 1837, 1,291. It is watered by a considerable stream, and several ponds in the town supply water for the Farmington canal, which passes through Southwick. The manufactures consist of gunpowder, leather, and distilled spirits: annual value, about $70,000. The surface of the town is elevated but the soil is generally good, particularly for grazing. The value of wool sheared in 1837, was $2,125.