Worcester county. Southbridge was taken from Sturbridge in 1814.—Population, 1830, 1,444; 1837, 1,740. It is 54 miles S.W. from Boston and 19 S.S.W. from Worcester. This town is watered by the Quinneboag, a branch of the Thames, and a good mill stream. There are one woolen and three cotton mills in Southbridge, and manufactures of boots, shoes and cutlery: the value of which, for the year ending April 1, 1837, was $262,212. This town has an excellent soil and a pleasant and flourishing village.