Franklin county. This town lies on the N. side of Deerfield river opposite to Conway. It is 100 miles W. by N. from Boston and 5 W. from Greenfield. Population, 1837, 1,018. Incorporated, 1768. Deerfield river falls in this town a distance of 20 feet, and produces a valuable water power.
The manufactures of the town consist of woolen goods, leather, boots, shoes, scythes, palm-leaf hats, &c.: annual value about $40,000. The soil of the town is generally of a good quality; considerable wool is grown, and some cattle and products of the dairy are sent to market. More than common attention is paid to mental culture. This is a pleasant and flourishing town: the scenery about the falls is very handsome.