The North River rises near the sources of the Taunton. It passes Pembroke, Hanover and Marshfield, and meets the tide water here. This river is very deep, narrow and crooked, and is noted for the fine ships built on its banks. The manufactures of Scituate consist of leather, boots, shoes, tacks, vessels, &c. The value of vessels annually built is about $40,000. These vessels are of superior mechanism, and are built of native white oak, remarkable for its durability. There are a number of vessels belonging to this town employed in the merchant service and coasting trade. During the year ending April 1, 1837, Scituate has 22 vessels engaged in the fishery: they took 6,500 barrels of mackerel, valued at $46,000.
The town extends back from the bay a considerable distance; it contains large tracts of salt meadow and some valuable upland.
The first settled minister in this town was the Rev. Charles Chauncy. He remained here twelve years previous to his becoming the second president of Harvard College.
Rev. Thomas Clapp, president of Yale College, was born in this town, in 1703. He graduated at Harvard College in 1722, and died in 1767.