Worcester county. Rutland was formerly twelve miles square, and was sold by the Indians, in 1686, for £23 lawful money. It was first settled about the year 1720, and incorporated in 1722. It lies 51 miles W. by N. from Boston and 12 N.W. from Worcester. A branch of Ware river waters the town, and gives it mill privileges. The manufactures consist of woolen goods, leather, boots, shoes, chairs, cabinet and wooden wares; annual value about $50,000. Rutland is a very pleasant town, of good soil and well cultivated. Its exports of beef, butter and cheese are considerable. It contains some fine fish ponds. Population, 1837, 1,265.