Norfolk county. The territory of Quincy was a part of ancient Braintree, until 1792. It lies on Braintree or Quincy bay, in Boston harbor, and is bounded on the N.W. by Neponset river and the town of Milton. It is 8 miles S. by E. from Boston and 10 E. by S. from Dedham. Population, 1820, 1,623; 1830, 2,192; 1837, 3,049.
The surface of the town is diversified by hills, valleys and plains. Back from the bay about 3 miles is a range of elevated land, in some parts more than 600 feet above the sea, containing an inexhaustible supply of granite. This is the source of "Quincy Granite," a building material justly celebrated in all our cities for its durability and beauty. Vast quantities of this admirable stone are annually quarried and wrought in this vicinity by the most skillful workmen, into all dimensions, both plain and ornamental; and it is fortunate for the public that the supply is abundant, for the demand for it from various parts of the United States is constant and increasing.
By means of a rail-road from these quarries to the tide waters of Neponset river, and of a canal to the centre of the town, this stone is transported with great expedition and little cost. There are large quantities of slate stone near Neponset river; much of which is quarried. These slate quarries bear indications of coal in their vicinity.
In this town, between Quincy and Dorchester bays, is a point of land called Squantum, celebrated as having been the residence of the famous Indian Sachem, Chickatubut. This place is the Mos-wetuset, "a few miles south of Boston," supposed by some to have originated the name of the state. Squantum is a rocky, romantic place, six miles south of Boston, and a pleasant resort for fishing and bathing.
The soil of Quincy is generally of an excellent quality and under good cultivation. There are large tracts of salt meadow in the town, and many large and beautiful farms, which, in respect to soil and skillful management, may vie with any in the state.
The Mount Wallaston [Mount Wollaston] farm is noted as the site of an early settlement (1625,) and as the Merry Mount of Thomas Morton and his associates. This farm, with that of his venerated father, now belong to the Hon. Mr. Adams, representative to Congress. The ancestral estate of the Quincy family comprises one of the most beautiful and well cultivated farms in New England. It is the property of Josiah Quincy, LL.D., an eminent agriculturist, and president of Harvard University.
The village, in the centre of the town, is situated on an elevated plain, and is remarkable for its neatness and beauty. In this village is a stone church, designated the "Adams Temple." This building was dedicated, 1828, and cost $40,000. Within its walls is a beautiful marble monument to the memory of the Hon. John Adams and his wife.
About two miles east from the village is Quincy Point, at the junction of Town and Weymouth Fore rivers. This is a delightful spot, and contains some handsome buildings. This point of land, with a peninsula near it called Germantown, are admirably located for ship building, and for all the purposes of navigation and the fishery. Here is a fine harbor, a bold shore and a beautiful country, within 10 miles of the capital of New England.
The manufactures of Quincy consist of stone, slate, vessels, salt, leather, boots, shoes, hats, coach lace, carriages, harnesses, bleached bees wax, &c. Total value, the year ending April 1, 1837, $470,222. During that period there were 10 vessels engaged in the cod and mackerel fishhery; the product of which was $31,042. Quincy is a large place of considerable trade. Large quantities of lumber, bread stuffs, &c., are annually sold.
The proximity of Quincy to Boston, the excellent roads and bridges connecting it with the city and surrounding country, the beauty of the town, with the delightful scenery around it, render it a desirable residence in summer, and a pleasant home.
Quincy was named in honor of Col. John Quincy, a native of the place, who for forty successive years was a member of the executive council of the colony, and discharged many other public trusts with zeal and fidelity. He died July 13, 1767, aged 78.
This has been the birth place and residence of some of the most distinguished sons of America.—The names of the patriots, John Hancock and Josiah Quincy, Jr., will live until the death of liberty.
Two presidents of the United States, father and son, were natives of this place. John Adams, born October 19, 1735. John Quincy Adams, born July 11, 1767.