Worcester county. This town, the Indian Wachusett, is pleasantly situated at the base of the mountain of that name, 45 miles W. by N. from Boston and 16 N. by W. from Worcester. Incorporated, 1758. Population, 1837, 1,267. This is a township of good land, and produces considerable quantities of beef, butter, cheese, &c. It is watered by a branch of the Nashua, and has some manufactures. Wachusett is 2,990 feet in height; it is the highest land in the county, and presents a landscape exceedingly variegated and beautiful. It is a place much frequented in the summer months.
The manufactures of the town consist of shoes, leather, palm-leaf hats, chairs, and cabinet ware: annual amount, about $50,000.