Plymouth county. This town is watered by a branch of Taunton river. It lies 32 miles S.E. by S. from Boston and 8 W. from Plymouth. Incorporated, 1707. Population, 1837, 835. The manufactures of the town consist of cotton and woolen goods, nails, shovels, spades, hoes, forks, hoop rivets, shoes, leather, palm-leaf hats, chairs and cabinet ware; annual amount about $100,000. The Indian name of Plympton was Wanatuxet.
A noble white oak was cut in this town a few years ago. It contained seven tons and seven feet of ship timber, and two cords of fire wood.