Plymouth County, Massachusetts
Plymouth, chief town. The soil of this most ancient county in New England, is not so productive as that of many others in Massachusetts; yet there is considerable good land within its limits. It has a great water power, which is more particularly applied to the manufactures of iron ware, of all sorts, both wrought and cast. It has an abundant supply of iron ore, of a superior quality. This county has a sea coast on Massachusetts bay of between 30 and 40 miles, and many ships are built in its numerous ports of native white oak. This county has considerable foreign commerce; but its shipping is principally engaged in the fishing business and coasting trade. It is bounded N.E. by Massachusetts bay, N. by Norfolk county, and Boston harbor, W. and N.W. by Norfolk county, S.W. by Bristol county, and S.E. by Buzzard's bay, and Barnstable county. Area, about 600 square miles. This county was incorporated in 1635. Population, 1820, 38,136; 1830, 42,993; 1837, 46,253. Population, to a square mile, 77.—The North river, emptying into Massachusetts bay, and numerous branches of the Taunton, are its chief rivers.
In 1837, there were in this county 11,410 sheep. The value of the manufactures, the year ending April 1, 1837, was $4,896,907.—The value of the fishery, during the same period, was $582,419.