Worcester county. Petersham is a very pleasant town, elevated on a swell of fertile land, and presenting a fine prospect of many of the neighboring towns. It was first settled about the year 1732, and was called by the Indians Nashawang. Swift river waters a part of the town, and affords a water power. There is a woolen mill in the town; and manufactures of palm-leaf hats, leather, boots, shoes, chairs, and cabinet ware: total annual value, about $60,000. It lies 62 miles W. by N. from Boston and 27 N.W. from Worcester. Population, 1837, 1,731. Incorporated, 1754.