Berkshire county. This is a rough and mountainous town, wherein branches of Housatonick and Westfield rivers rise. It was formerly called Partridgefield and incorporated by that name in 1771. The soil is cold but adapted for grazing. The inhabitants are chiefly farmers. Population, 1837, 656. In that year 6,127 sheep were sheared in this town; the value of the wool, which weighed 18,381 lbs., was $11,948. Peru lies 111 miles W. from Boston, 18 N.E. from Lenox, and 47 E. Albany, N.Y. It is the highest land between the Connecticut and Hudson rivers.