Worcester county. Paxton was taken from Leicester and Rutland, in 1765. It is on high ground; its waters descend both to the Connecticut and Merrimack. It lies 50 miles W. from Boston and 7 N.W. from Worcester. Population, 1837, 619. This is a pleasant town, with manufactures of palm-leaf hats, boots, shoes, leather, carriages, &c. The surface of the town is uneven, but the soil is good, and well cultivated by its proprietors.