Hampden county. This town was originally settled by a colony from Ireland. It was incorporated in 1752. The surface of Palmer is hilly, but the soil is good, particularly along the banks of Ware and Swift rivers, by which it is finely watered, and supplied with water power. There are 1 woolen and 2 cotton mills in the town, and manufactures of boots, shoes, scythes, palm-leaf hats and wagons;—total amount, the year ending April 1, 1837, $178,556. The value of 2,652 fleeces of wool sheared in this town, that year, was $4,243.—Palmer lies 70 miles W. by S. from Boston and 16 E.N.E. from Springfield. Population, 1830, 1,237; 1837, 1,810.