Barnstable county. Orleans was taken from Eastham in 1797. It extends across a narrow part of Cape Cod, and is indented with coves and creeks on both sides. Stage harbor opens on the east through Chatham and Nauset beaches, which extend along the coast:—between which and the town is Pleasant bay, with several islands. In 1837, there were 33 vessels belonging to Orleans engaged in the cod and mackerel fishery, the tonnage of which was 2,310 tons. They took 20,000 quintals of cod fish and 600 barrels of mackerel. There were 31,000 bushels of salt used, and 264 men and boys were employed. The value of fish taken, when cured and packed, was $91,100:—capital invested, $33,000. There are 50 establishments for the manufacture of salt in the town; during the year ending April 1, 1837, there were 21,780 bushels made. There are also manufactures of palm-leaf hats, leather, boots, shoes and tin ware. Orleans lies 20 miles E. from Barnstable. Population, 1830, 1,799; 1837, 1,936.