Franklin county. This is an interesting town, on both sides of Connecticut river. It was incorporated in 1673, and some years after desolated by the Indians. The inhabitants returned again in 1685, but it was soon after destroyed a second time. In 1713, it was again rebuilt. Fort Dummer was in the vicinity. This town was purchased of the Indians in 1687 for 200 fathoms of wampum and £57 value of goods. Its Indian name was Squawkeag. Most of the land in this town is excellent, and the village very pleasant: 28 miles below Walpole, N.H., 11 N.E. from Greenfield, and 83 N.W. by W. from Boston. Northfield produces fine cattle, and considerable wool. The manufactures of the town consist of leather, boots, shoes, ploughs, chairs and cabinet ware. Population, 1837, 1,605.