Norfolk county. This interesting and pleasant town, the Uncataquissit of the Indians, lies 7 miles S. from Boston and 6 E. from Dedham. Neponset river washes its northern border and affords numerous valuable mill sites. This town was taken from Dorchester, in 1662. Population, 1837, 1,772. A large part of the land is a gravelly loam, strong and very productive. The manufactures consist of paper, granite, leather, hats, chairs, cabinet ware, playing cards, &c.: total annual amount, about $100,000. The manufacture of paper from beach grass has recently been commenced, and promises to be a good substitute for rags, for the more common kinds.
The village called the "Mills," comprising a part of Dorchester, at the head of navigation, on the Neponset, is a wild, romantic place, and ever since the first settlement of the country, has been the seat of considerable trade and manufacture.
The village at the rail-road, near the granite quarry, in Quincy, about a mile S.E. of the "Mills," is very pleasant and flourishing.—By a new and beautiful bridge, called the "Granite bridge," across the Neponset, the distance to the city is reduced to 6 miles.
Milton contains some elegant country seats, and much delightful scenery. The views from "Milton Hill," near the head of the Neponset; and "Blue Hill," a celebrated land mark for sailors, 710 feet above the sea, in the south part of the town, 12 miles from Boston, are among the most admired in our country.