Marlborough [Marlboro], Massachusetts
Middlesex county. This is a large farming town, with a soil of great fertility and undulating surface.—The inhabitants are principally devoted to agricultural pursuits, and by their industry and skill, have acquired a great degree of independence. Among the productions of the town are fat cattle, pork, fruit, and all the varieties of the dairy, a large amount of which is annually sent to Boston market. A branch of Concord river, and a number of beautiful ponds, water the town.—The manufactures consist of boots, shoes, straw bonnets, leather, chairs and cabinet ware: annual amount, about $75,000. Marlborough, the Indian Okamakamesit, was first settled in 1654. It was taken from Sudbury in 1660; it suffered much during the Indian wars, and was for many years the residence of a number of Indians who had embraced the christian religion. The villages are very pleasant: the richness of the soil, and surrounding scenery; its excellent roads and convenient access to Boston by the rail road, renders Marlborough a desirable residence. It is 28 miles W. from Boston, 14 S.W. from Concord, and 16 E. from Worcester.—Population, 1837, 2,089.