Middlesex county. county town.—This city, the American Mancester, is remarkable for the extent of its water power, its rapid growth, and the height to which it has raised the American character by the perfection of its manufactures.
Lowell has risen to eminence by the remarkable energy and skill of a few individuals; among whom Patrick T. Jackson, Esq. of Boston, and the late Kirk Boot, Esq. were distinguished.
In 1815, the site where the city stands was a wilderness, with the exception of a few lonely dwellings. In 1824, Lowell, then a part of Chelmsford, was incorporated as a town. In 1835, it became a city. Lowell is situated 25 miles N. from Boston, 14 N.N.E. from Concord, 37 N.E. from Worcester, and 38 S.S.E. from Concord, N.H. Population, 1830, 6,474; 1837, 18,010.
The hydraulic power of this place is produced by a canal, of a mile and a half in length, 60 feet in width, and 8 feet in depth, extending from the head of Pawtucket Falls to Concord river. This canal has locks at its outlet into Concord river; it also serves for the passage of boats up and down the Merrimack. From this canal, the water is conveyed by lateral canals to various places where it is wanted for use, and then discharged, either into the Merrimack or Concord.