Franklin county. Leyden is watered by Green river and several small streams. It is 100 miles N.W. from Boston and 7 N. by W. from Greenfield. It is a mountainous township, more fit for grazing than tillage. The number of sheep in the town, in 1837, was 3,142; their fleeces weighed 9,326 pounds; value of the wool, $5,129. The town was incorporated in 1809. Population, 1837, 656.
There is a romantic spot in Leyden, called "The Glen," a curious place, worth looking at.