Worcester county. This town, the Nasawogg of the Indians, is the oldest town in the county; it was for many years a frontier settlement and greatly harrassed by the natives. In 1676, the town was attacked by 1,500 Indians; many were killed on both sides; the town was destroyed, and a number carried into captivity, among whom was the celebrated Mrs. Mary Rowlandson. Lancaster lies on both sides of Nashua river, and has a remarkably fine, alluvial soil, in a high state of cultivation. Perhaps there is no inland town in New England that possesses more natural beauties, or that strikes the eye of the traveller more agreeably.—The village is very beautiful:—it is neatly built on an alluvial plain, surrounded by hills, and watered by a large and placid stream. There are 3 cotton and 1 woolen mills in the town, and manufactures of leather, boots, shoes, hats, forks, combs, palm-leaf hats, tenon machines, copper pumps, piano-fortes, chairs, and cabinet ware:—annual value about $100,000. Some mineral substances are found here. Lancaster was first settled, 1643. Incorporated, 1653. Population, 1837, 1,903. It lies 35 miles W.N.W. from Boston, and 15 N.N.E. from Worcester.