Essex county. This is one of the shire towns of the county, and a port of entry, on a river of the same name, sometimes called Agawam, the Indian name of the place. Ipswich village is very pleasant, and the country around it is well cultivated and beautifully variegated. There is a cotton mill in the town, and a number of vessels are engaged in the coasting trade and fishery. The manufactures consist of cotton goods, hosiery, vessels, leather, boots, shoes, chairs, and cabinet ware:—total annual amount, about $120,000. Ipswich is 12 miles N. by E. from Salem, 10 S. from Newburyport, and 26 N.E. by N. from Boston. First settled, 1633. Incorporated, 1634. Population, 1820, 2,553; 1837, 2,855.