Plymouth county. Hull was first settled about the year 1625. Incorporated, 1644. Population, 1837, 180. This town comprises the peninsula of Nantasket, which forms the S.E. side of Boston harbor. It extends N. by W. from Cohasset, 5 miles, and is celebrated for its beautiful beach, 4 miles in length, and for its shell fish and sea fowl. The town lies between two hills of fine land, near point Alderton, opposite Boston light-house. It lies 9 miles E.S.E. from Boston, by water, and 22 by land, via Hingham. On one of the hills in this place, is a well 90 feet in depth, which is frequently almost full of water. Capital invested in the manufacture of salt, $12,500.
Hull is remarkable for the unanimity which always prevails among its inhabitants in their deliberative assemblies, and for a spirit of compromise manifest on all occasions in their selection of public servants.