Worcester county. This important manufacturing town, the Hassanamisco of the Indians, was incorporated in 1735. It lies 36 miles S.W. by W. from Boston and 9 S.E. from Worcester. Population, 1830, 1,889; 1837, 2,910. Blackstone river and several large ponds give this town a constant and valuable water power. There are 5 cotton and 1 woolen mills. The total amount of the manufactures of Grafton, the year ending April 1, 1837, was $1,052,448. The manufactures consisted of cotton and woolen goods, boots, shoes, leather, scythes, chairs, tin, cabinet and wooden wares, shoe tools and bricks. The manufacture of boots and shoes amounted to $614,141, employing 1,392 males and females. Grafton has a fine soil, is beautifully located, and exceedingly flourishing.