Bristol county. This town lies on the E. side of Taunton river, 8 miles S. from Taunton, 12 N. by W. from New Bedford, and 40 S. from Boston. First settled 1659. Incorporated 1683. Population, 1837, 1,779. It is watered by a branch of Taunton river, and has some navigation. The manufactures of Freetown consist of iron castings, cutlery, axes, shovels, spades, hoes, forks, nails, leather, boots, shoes, vessels, chairs, and cabinet ware. Total amount, in one year, $43,820. The soil is light, and keeps, among other cattle, about 1,000 sheep.