Barnstable county. A pleasant town on Vineyard Sound. There are belonging to this town 9 whale-ships, and about 40 sail in the coasting trade and fishery. Two streams afford a water power, on which are two woolen mills and other manufactories. There are about 40 ponds in this town, some salt and some fresh:—these, with the views of the islands in the Sound, form a variety of agreeable scenery. "Wood's Hole" harbor, at the S.W. extremity of the town, is a good harbor and much frequented by vessels, and by invalids in search of health. The value of oil imported into Falmouth, the year ending April 1, 1837, amounted to $146,600. The value of vessels, salt, woolen goods, boots, shoes and leather, manufactured the same year, was $58,657. Falmouth lies 71 miles S.E. by E. from Boston and 22 S.W. from Barnstable. "Woods' Hole" is 4 miles W. from the centre of the town; and "Holmes' Hole" harbor, on Martha's Vineyard, is 6 miles S. Population, 1837, 2,580. Incorporated, 1686.