Essex county. This town lies at the head of Chebacco river, running into Squam bay, 13 miles N.E. from Boston, and 5 miles S.E. from Ipswich, from which it was taken in 1819. Many vessels of 50 to 120 tons are built in this town and many small vessels are employed in the coasting trade and the fisheries.—The manufactures of vessels, leather, boots, shoes, bar iron, barrels, cordage, pumps and blocks, in the year ending April 1, 1837, amounted to $102,271. The tonnage employed in the cod and mackerel fishery was 878 tons. Population, 1837, 1,402. Essex is a pleasant and flourishing town.